``Extremal Graph Theory (TAC: Vol. I)'' - Typos
This page lists the typographical errors that have been discovered in
the Fall 2007 pre-publication version of
Extremal Graph Theory, by Douglas B. West (Volume I of
The Art of Combinatorics).
This page is of interest only to the few persons having a copy of this
draft, such as the students in my course and possibly reviewers.
Please send any additional contributions to email@example.com.
Contributors noted in parentheses.
Errors discovered in the printed version
- p225 - Exercise 2.4.50: restrict the problem to r at least 3
- p233 - Theorem 3.1.10: "x,y-paths" should be "x,y-path"
- p234 - Theorem 3.1.11: "kr(D)" should be "k(r(D)-1)+1"
- p283 - Lemma 3.3.16: add "of" between "edge-coloring" and "a graph G"
- p384 - Theorem 4.2.4, proof: "H" should be "G-x" (Kyle
- p495 - after subhead: "a n-vertex" should be "an n-vertex"
- p496 - before Lemma 5.1.3: "n³/4" should be
- p498 - Example 5.1.6: "meaning that r" should be
"meaning that j-i"
- p499 - Theorem 5.1.9: extra right parenthesis at the end of the first
equation (Kyle Jao)
- p499 - Cor 5.1.10: "e edges" should be "m edges" (Kyle
- p515 - before Theorem 5.1.43: "for suitable S"
should be "for suitable s"
- p515 - Theorem 5.1.43: the last vertex of H should be
xk, not xn
- p520 - Theorem 5.1.43: the initial contribution from each split is at least
ε4m², not εm². Later,
"f(C,Π')" should be "f(G,Π')"
- p521 - middle: too many "e"s in "Szemeredi"
- p533 - Exercise 5.1.29: the second binomial coefficient should have the
floor of (n+1)/2 in the top (Ben Moseley)
- p557 - Exercise 5.2.28: the reference to Exercise 24 should be to
These errors were fixed before the text went to the copyshop
and do not appear in the bound version.
- handout p37, Example 1.1.14: "one exactly one value" should be
"exactly one value" (Kyle Jao)
- handout p58 - Prop 1.2.3: "v in the center" should be "w
in the center" (Hsueh-Yi Chen), and then the following inequality should be
"d(u,v)<d(u,w)+d(w,v)" (Kyle Jao)
- handout p33 - Prop 1.1.5: "u,u'-path in T" should be
"path from U to U' in T" (Kyle Jao)
- handout p89, 2nd line: "their index" should be "their indices"
- handout p93 - There should be a ceiling function applied to the lower
bound. In the statement of Theorem 1.3.16, "ceiling" should also appear.
- handout p117 - In the proof of Theorem 2.1.14, "def" should be "df".
- handout p124 - Corollary 2.1.30: "kn|V(G)|l" should be
"k|V(G)|-l" (Kyle Jao)
- handout p140 - In Exercise 2.1.33, braces are needed in the min
- handout p219 - Theorem 2.4.50: the choice of t should be without
- handout p222 - Exercise on generalized Petersen graph: the instances
of "\alpha(P(n,k))" were lacking their final parenthesis (Kyle Jao)
- handout p234 - Conjecture 3.1.12: In the numerator, there is an extra
close-parenthesis (Kyle Jao)
- handout p237 - Theorem 3.1.19: the maximum edge-connectivity among
subgraphs of a graph F is achieved by a subgraph of a block of F,
not necessarily by a full block