Combinatorial Mathematics - Fall 2009 Typos
This page lists the typographical errors that have been discovered in
the Fall 2009 pre-publication version of
Combinatorial Mathematics, by Douglas B. West.
This page is of interest only to those persons having a copy of this draft,
particularly the students in my course, other users of the text, and reviewers.
Please send comments and corrections on the book to west @ math.uiuc.edu.
Contributors are noted in parentheses.
Please do not send comments about incorrect page numbers in the index
(and note that all page numbers there are odd for \TeX nical reasons);
however, I do want to know of missing terms that should be added to the index.
Category 1: Mathematical typos/corrections to text
- p85, Proposition 2.2.1: "k+d" should be "k+d+1", and
"r+d" should be "r+d+1" (Stephen Hartke)
- p86, Definition 2.2.14: to avoid confusion, the exponent on the coefficient
operator should not be the same as the index of summation in the expansion.
- p91, Theorem 2.2.20: In "C implies D", the power series expansion of
b(1-αix)-j is not given correctly. It is a
series, and the summand is not the given expression! See Lemma 2.2.17 for the
- p117, Example 3.1.11: The final binomial coefficient should be
C(14,2), not C(12,2) (Zhenhui Li)
- p193, Application 4.1.10: in the final line, "i=0" should be
- p348, Exercise 6.3.10: m is the number of edges in G
- p384, Exercise 7.2.39: The gibberish should just be m
- p799, Definition 14.3.12: There is a p(n) that should be
Category 2: Comments, clarifications, and cross-references
- p73, Exercise 2.1.17: the mention of Example 2.2.4 is irrelevant
- p76, Exercise 2.1.40: duplicates p28, Exercise 1.1.29
Category 3: Minor typos and corrections
Note: Corrections involving addition, deletion, or alteration of one
punctuation mark may be implemented without being listed here.
Corrections to capitalization may also be omitted.
- p29, Exercise 1.1.39: "maximize maximizes" should be "maximize"
- p41, Exercise 1.2.33: "show show" should be "show", and the first "and"
should be deleted
- p59, Exercise 1.3.33: "and even" should be "an even"
- p181, Exercise 3.4.11: part (b) appears twice; delete the first version
- p196, Theorem 4.1.17: "satisfying contributes" should be "contributes"
- p295, Exercise 5.3.28: "multigraph graph" should be "multigraph"
- p496, before Remark 9.3.17: "establishing unavoidable" should be "establish
- p792, Exercise 14.2.5: "a most" should be "at most"
Archive of corrections to earlier versions: