Combinatorial Mathematics - Fall 2008 Typos
This page lists the typographical errors that have been discovered in
the Fall 2008 pre-publication version of
Combinatorial Mathematics, by Douglas B. West.
This page is of interest only to those persons having a copy of this draft,
particularly the students in my course, other users of the text, and reviewers.
Please send comments and corrections on the book to west @ math.uiuc.edu.
Contributors are noted in parentheses.
Please do not send comments about incorrect page numbers in the index
(and note that all page numbers there are odd for \TeX nical reasons);
however, I do want to know of missing terms that should be added to the index.
Category 1: Mathematical typos/corrections to text
- p39, Exercise 1.2.20: the upper limit of the first sum should be m
- p51, Theorem 1.3.16: A closing "}" is missing in the definition of
- p117, Example 3.1.11: Before the last display, there should be no
parentheses on 1-x in the numerator (Mu Sun)
- p123, Theorem 3.1.23: In the proof, the upper part of the last binomial
coefficient should be x-k+n.
- p137, Example 3.2.19: The exponent [n] should be (n)
- p201, Example 4.1.26: This example is about partitioning n, but it
is stated as partitioning [n] throughout the example.
- p354, after Definition 7.1.5: The second "Hk,n-1"
should be "Hk,n" (Dan Schreiber)
- p414, Exercise 8.1.9 includes Exercise 8.1.6
- p419, Remark 8.2.3 & Prop 8.2.4: The inverted "!" should be "<"
- p421, Proposition 8.2.8: "earlier numbers" should be "earlier neighbors,
and "was not been" should be "has not been" (Farzad Hassanzadeh)
- p430, Exercise 8.2.8: part (a) is the converse of Theorem 8.2.13
- p473, Lemma 9.2.8: G'∪x should be G'∪xy (Farzad
- p484, Exercise 9.2.12: "H" should be "C", and the definition
of "fragment" should be included.
- p542, Theorem 10.2.11: "at most R(p-1,q) neighbors and at most
R(p,q-1) nonneighbors" should be "at most R(p-1,q)-1 neighbors
and at most R(p,q-1)-1 nonneighbors" (Farzad Hassanzadeh)
- p637, Remark 12.1.3: "Since order relations are symmetric" should be
"Since order relations are reflexive"
- p762, Proposition 14.1.5: In both inequalities, equality holds for
- p801, before Theorem 14.3.18: trees are balanced, but forests need not
be (Kyle Fox?)
- p803, Remark 14.3.19: When the indicator variables are independent,
E(X²) does not simplify to E(X)²; it simplifies to
Category 2: Comments, clarifications, and cross-references
- p640, Example 12.1.11: The posets with cover graph C6
are no longer in Example 12.1.5
- p643, before Theorem 12.1.8: The reference to Chapter 19 is wrong; network
flow is no longer there. Elementary aspects of network flow are moving to
the section on Menger's Theorem.
- p765, after Theorem 14.1.11: "Exercise 16" is repeated.
Category 3: Minor typos and corrections
Note: Corrections involving addition, deletion, or alteration of one
punctuation mark may be implemented without being listed here.
Corrections to capitalization may also be omitted.
- p54, before Example 1.3.22: "binary tree" should be "binary trees" (Dan
- p122, after Example 3.1.22: "are of so" should be "are so"
- p181, Exercise 3.4.13: Delete the trailing ")"
- p456, line 7: "want know" should be "want to know"
- p520, Definition 10.1.18: delete the comma. After the definition, add
"s" to finish the name of Erdos
- p544, line 8: "With n =\ge" should be "With n\ge"
- p647, Exercise 12.1.5: "then" should be "let"
- p814, Exercise 14.3.16: Delete the trailing ")"
Archive of corrections to earlier versions: