Instructor Lee DeVille Office 259 Altgeld Hall Office hours M 2-3, W 11-12 Main Text Probability and Random Processes, by Grimmett and Stirzaker (Third Edition)
A link to the book
Other resources This book has a complete solution manual published as a separate book:
One Thousand Exercises in Probability, by Grimmett and Stirzaker (First Edition)
A link to the book
Syllabus Here is the course syllabus.
Grading The course grade is calculated as follows:
Midterm 1 15% Midterm 2 15% Quizzes 40% Final Exam 30% Exam dates
Exam Date and Time Midterm 1 Mon October 1, in class Midterm 2 Wed November 14, in class Final Exam Tue December 18, 7--10pm Homework There will be one homework assigned per lecture, see the daily log. The homework will not be collected Grades The midterms will be on the dates listed above, and the quizzes will be on random days throughout the semester.
The lowest two quiz grades will be dropped.
All grades will be posted on the Compass system, which can be found at this link.
- No make-up exams will be offered after the fact. If an exam conflicts with a university-sponsored activity (conference, competition, etc.), I am happy to arrange an alternative exam in advance.
- In case of documented illness or emergency, an exam may be dropped. See "Excuses and Absences" below.
Excuses and Absences
- If you have missed a homework, but have an excuse for this absence, please fill out this webform.
- Only those excuses submitted within one week of the due date will be considered.
- Late registration: If you register late for the course, all assignments due before your registration date will be excused. However, you *must* fill out an excuse request webform within one week of registering to be excused from these assignments.
Grading questionsIf you ever have a question or concern about grading (on an exam or homework), the procedure is as follows
- Identify the mistakes you think were made in the grading
- Write these down on a piece of paper, explaining why you think the grade given is incorrect
- Return the written explanation, and the original document, to me
- Please do this within one week of the return date