Syllabus for Math 386, Section E1 (Introduction to Differential Equations Plus)
Course topic: Differential equations and some partial differential equations
Text: Edwards and Penney, Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems: Computing and Modelling, 2000, Prentice-Hall
Outline: This course is intended for engineering students and others who require a working knowledge of differential equations, included are techniques and applications of ordinary differential equations, linear systems of differential equations, and an introduction to partial differential equations.
Grading policy: Final grades will be determined on the basis
of the total numerical score. Relative
|Final: ||26% of grade |
|Hourly Exam 1:||18% of grade|
|Hourly Exam 2:||18% of grade|
|Hourly Exam 3:||18% of grade|
|Weekly Quizzes:||10% of grade|
|Homework:||10% of grade|
- Final exam: Final is 1:30-4:30 PM, Saturday, May 6
- Hourly exams: These exams will be given in class on February 13th, March 13th, and April 24th.
- Quizzes: There will be 12 surprise quizzes, each worth 5 points. The two lowest
scores on these quizzes will be dropped. The quizzes will be administered at the beginning
- Homework: There will be homework assignments. Homework is due in the first
ten minutes of class. Late homework will NOT be accepted.
- Extra Credit: There will be some challenge problems which will be extra credit.
Department of Mathematics
University of Illinois
1409 W Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801