MATH 416: Abstract Linear Algebra
Information about exams
There will be three midterms (held outside of class) and a final.
We will drop the lowest midterm score.
First midterm: Feb 11, 19:00-20:30, Engineering Hall 106B1
Second midterm: Mar 4, 19:00-20:30, Engineering Hall 106B1 (NB drop date March 8)
Third midterm: April 15, 19:00-20:30, Engineering Hall 106B1
Final exam: May 3, 13:30-16:30, Henry Administration 138
The third midterm will be Monday, April 15, 19:00-20:30,
Engineering Hall 106B1.
The midterm will last all 90 minutes and is closed-notes,
closed-book, with no calculators allowed.
There will be a conflict exam on Monday, April 15, 15:30-17:00, in
The exam will cover Chapters 1-3 and Chapter 6 (sections 6.1-6.3).
A practice midterm is available on compass. Solutions to the
practice midterm will be posted on compass on April 13.
You will be asked for complete, precise definitions of about four
of the following terms, including context (e.g., what kind of thing
can be invertible?)
- linear independence
- linear dependence
- finite dimensional
- infinite dimensional
- standard basis
- rank (of a linear map or of a matrix)
- Statement of Rank-Nullity Theorem
- coordinate representation
- matrix of a linear map with respect to bases
- change of basis matrix
- similar matrices
- diagonalizable (matrix or map)
- matrix invariant
- upper triangular matrix
- algebraically closed field
- determinant of a matrix
- determinant of a linear map
- characteristic polynomial
- multiplicity of a root
- multiplicity of an eigenvalue
- Statement of Cayley-Hamilton theorem