Math 519: Differentiable Manifolds II
- Instructor: Eugene Lerman
- e-mail: lerman at math dott uiuc dott edu
- Course page:
- Office: 336 Illini Hall
- Office Hours:
see my calendar
- Phone: 244-9510
- Class meets: MWF 11-11:50 in
343 Altgeld Hall
Prerequisites I presume you know the material in math 518.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me by e-mail.
Grades The course grade will be based on weekly homework
(70 %) and the final exam (30%).
- de Rham cohomology,
- Degree, linking number and index of vector fields
- Fiber bundles and vector bundles
- Connections and curvature
- Characteristic classes
Recommended text (there is no required text):
From Calculus to Cohomology: De Rham Cohomology and
Characteristic Classes by Jorgen Tornehave and Ib Madsen.
See this link for homework
assignments, some solutions and pdf scans of some of my lecture notes
Last modified: Sun Jan 30 11:56:11 CST 2011