Math 347 Test 2, Spring 2009
Wednesday 1 April, in class, worth 15%.
No books, notes, written materials, or electronic devices.
Study Session (optional)
Monday 30 March, 6:00-7:30pm in Altgeld 345 and 347.
- Chapters 5, 6, 7 (up to, but not including, the Chinese Remainder
Problem in 7.29, 7.30)
- Homework 5 (which covers Chapter 4 material)
- Homeworks 6 and 7 (which cover Chapters 5 and 6)
How to study
Start studying TODAY.
- First make summary notes of the important definitions,
theorems, ideas and methods from each section. (This effort helps you
mentally organize the material.)
- Memorize the following proofs:
- Theorem 5.13 (the factorial formula for "n choose k")
- Theorem 5.17 (Binomial Theorem)
- Theorem 5.23
- Propositions 6.6 and 6.7 (learn the statements as well as the proofs)
- Theorem 7.16
- Lemma 7.19
- Definition 7.21 and the justification that this definition make sense
- Go through your summary notes and proofs slowly, at least twice.
As you do so, ask
yourself questions about what the definitions and theorems mean, and how
to use them. Write down your questions and your answers - you get
better at writing mathematics by practicing writing mathematics!
- Re-work all homework problems. Some test questions
will build directly on the homework.
- Work through Practice Test 2
(see Solutions), except note we have not
covered the material for Problem 6(b) yet.