MATHEMATICS 512, MODERN ALGEBRAIC GEOMETRY, FALL 2019
Instructor: Sheldon Katz
Phone/email: 265-6258, katzs AT illinois.edu
Office and Hours: 301 Altgeld Hall, Mondays 1:30-2:30 and Thursdays 2:30-3:30,
Class Time and location: MWF 11-11:50, 143 Henry Administration Building
Text: R. Hartshorne, Algebraic Geometry
Course Syllabus is here. Revised 8/28/19 to include office hours.
- Homework 1, due Friday, September 6
- Homework 2, due Wednesday, September 18
- Homework 3, due Monday, October 7
- Homework 4, due Wednesday, October 30
- Homework 5, due Wednesday, November 13
- Homework 6, due Friday, December 6
- In Homework 6, Exercise II.7.3, please add the hypothesis that phi is nondegenerate, which means that the image of phi is not contained in any hyperplane. Otherwise for example the inclusion of Pn in Pm as a linear subspace with m > n will not satisfy the first part of part (b) of the exercise.
- My last office hour of the semester will be on Monday, December 9. If you want to meet after then, please email me to request an appointment.
- I will grade all homeworks received by 5pm on Wednesday, December 11.
Other activities of interest
- Algebraic Geometry Seminar, Tuesdays at 3pm, 243 Altgeld Hall.
Please contact Aron Heleodoro if you would like to be added to the algebraic geometry mailing list.
- Algebraic Geometry lunch, Tuesdays at noon.
This is an informal
brown bag lunch, which will usually include informal 20 minute presentations
designed to be friendly to grad students. We meet in the conference room, 350 Altgeld.
Please contact Aron Heleodoro if you would like to be added to the mailing list.