Math 481 - Vector and Tensor Analysis
(An Introduction to Differential Geometry)
Section F13, Spring 2017
||326 Illini Hall
|| Monday and Wednesday 10:30-11:30 AM
|| MWF 2:00-2:50 PM in 145 Altgeld Hall
||The Geometry of Physics: An Introduction, by Theodore Frankel
||The course grade will be calculated as follows.
Weekly Homework: 20%
Final exam: 40%
Midterm 1, Friday March 3, in class.
Midterm 2, Friday April 14, in class.
Final exam, 7:00 to 10:00PM, Monday May 8.
Here is the course syllabus.
Lecture notes and Homework assignments.
You are encouraged to work on the homework in groups, although each student should submit a separate set of solutions.
- Late homework will not be accepted, because solutions are posted shortly after the deadline.
- If you will be absent when homework is due, you must turn in your homework in advance. Note that I will check my mailbox (250 Altgeld) right after collecting homework in class.
- In case of documented illness or emergency, homework may be dropped.
- No make-up exams will be offered after the fact.
- However, if the exam schedule conflicts with a university-sponsored activity (conference, competition, etc.), please email me. A make-up exam in advance may be arranged.
- In case of documented illness or emergency, an exam may be dropped.