Math 416 - Abstract Linear Algebra
Sections X13 and E13, Fall 2016
||326 Illini Hall
|| Monday and Wednesday 2:30-3:30 PM
|| Section X13: MWF 12:00-12:50 PM in 341 Altgeld Hall
Section E13: MWF 1:00-1:50 PM in 2 Illini Hall
||Linear Algebra, by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence (Fourth Edition)
Please make sure you get the Fourth Edition. It should be possible to get a used copy.
Linear Algebra, by Jim Hefferon, is a free online textbook, with solutions, available from the author's webpage as a pdf file
A First Course in Linear Algebra, by Robert A. Beezer, is a free textbook, available from the author's webpage as a pdf.
There is also an online, web-based, version.
||The course grade is calculated as follows.
Final exam: 40%
Midterm 1, Friday Oct 7, in class.
Midterm 2, Wednesday Nov 9, in class.
Final exam: The two sections will have a combined Final exam on Tuesday Dec 13 from 1:30-4:30PM in 217 Noyes Laboratory.
Homework assigned at each lecture will be posted on the daily log. It will be due in class usually on a Wednesday.
Here is the course syllabus .
|Honors and extra credit hour
These are not offered for these sections of Math 416. Those interested in such credit should enroll in the Honors section of this course.
- In each assignment, a few problems will be thoroughly graded, while the rest will only be spot-checked, i.e. credit is given for having done the problem (correctly or not).
- The two lowest homework scores will be dropped.
You are encouraged to work on the homework in groups, although each student should submit a separate set of solutions.
- Late homework will not be accepted, because solutions are posted shortly after the deadline.
- If you will be absent when homework is due, you must turn in your homework in advance. Note that I will check my mailbox (250 Altgeld) right after collecting homework in class.
- In case of documented illness or emergency, homework may be dropped.
- No make-up exams will be offered after the fact.
- However, if the exam schedule conflicts with a university-sponsored activity (conference, competition, etc.), please email me. A make-up exam in advance may be arranged.
- In case of documented illness or emergency, an exam may be dropped.