Math 416 - Abstract Linear Algebra
Section F13, Spring 2014
||326 Illini Hall
|| Wed 1-2 PM
|| MWF 2:00-2:50 PM in 345 Altgeld Hall
||Linear Algebra, by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence (Fourth Edition)
Please make sure you get the Fourth Edition. It should be possible to get a used copy.
|| We will also make use of the following online resouces:
Linear Algebra, by Jim Hefferon, is a free online textbook, with solutions, available from the author's webpage as a pdf file
A First Course in Linear Algebra, by Robert A. Beezer, is a free textbook, available from the author's webpage as a pdf.
There is also an online, web-based, version.
||The course grade is calculated as follows.
Final exam: 40%
Wed Mar 5: Midterm 1, in class.
Fri Apr 18: Midterm 2, in class.
Fri May 9: Final exam, 1:30-4:30 PM, in normal lecture room.
Homework assigned at each lecture will be posted on the daily log. It will be due in class usually on Friday, or on Monday the week of an exam.
Here is the course syllabus .
Registered students can view their grades here. You will need your NetID and password.
- In each assignment, a few problems will be thoroughly graded, while some will only be spot-checked, i.e. credit is given for having done the problem (correctly or not).
- The two lowest homework scores will be dropped.
You are encouraged to work on the homework in groups, although each student should submit a separate set of solutions. Please indicate which other students you collaborated with, if any.
- Late homework will not be accepted, because solutions are posted shortly after the deadline.
- If you will be absent when homework is due, you must turn in your homework in advance. Note that I will check my mailbox (250 Altgeld) right after collecting homework in class.
- In case of documented illness or emergency, homework may be dropped.
- No make-up exams will be offered after the fact.
- However, if the exam schedule conflicts with a university-sponsored activity (conference, competition, etc.), please email me. A make-up exam in advance may be arranged.
- In case of documented illness or emergency, an exam may be dropped.