From: David Swinarski <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Subject: January 2014 Macaulay2 workshop in Berkeley, CA
Dear Macaulay2 user,
We are organizing a Macaulay2 workshop, from Monday, January 6, 2014 through Friday, January 10, 2014 with Sunday, January 5 and Saturday, January 11 serving as the travel days. The workshop will be at the University of California, Berkeley, in Berkeley, CA. Activities will start first thing Monday morning (possibly Sunday night). Our main funding source for this workshop is the National Science Foundation.
The purpose of the workshop is to bring Macaulay2 developers together with those who would like to share or develop their skills at writing packages for Macaulay2 and those interested in developing the corresponding mathematical algorithms. Some examples of projects from past workshops can be viewed at the links at the end of this email. There is ongoing work on many of the packages described there, and we hope that a few teams will propose new projects and work on them at this workshop as well.
Attendance at this workshop is by invitation only --- based on a brief application --- and all who are interested are encouraged to apply. We anticipate financial support for approximately 20-30 people. We strive to include both experienced Macaulay2 developers and people who want to gain experience in Macaulay2 --- there is no minimum amount of experience that is required in order to apply!
If you would like to attend, please apply as soon as possible at the following webpage: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGRwZUdJWE9HZWdkdjBrMWpYVWhoVUE6MA#gid=0
Your application should include:
1. information about what projects/algorithms you would like to work on, and what you have done in the past. (This is the most important piece --- please put some thought into this and be as specific as possible),
2. a good estimate of travel expenses, and whether you would require financial support for housing and meals (when available), and if you will be willing to share a room. (Rooms may be in limited supply; if additional single rooms are available, and you want one, we may ask you to pay any additional cost).
3. your current institution and rank, and if you are a graduate student, your advisor's name.
Applications are due by 11:59pm on Monday, September 30, 2013. We plan to allocate funds to participants by Friday, October 11, 2013.
A few other pieces of information you may need:
1. Please commit to being present for the entire workshop.
2. You will need to bring your laptop with Macaulay2 on it to the workshop.
Sonja Mapes, Frank Moore, and David Swinarski, the organizers
Our email addresses:
Wikis from past Macaulay2 workshops: